Wednesday, September 22, 2010

GREECE!






While in Italy and Croatia, Emily had met some girls who she thought would be fun. So the first day in Greece, we went sightseeing with them. The port city of Piraeus was about 20 minutes outside of Athens. We took a bus into Athens and decided to get on one of the red double-decker tour buses to see all the main sites. Our first stop was the acropolis. The Parthenon was absolutely amazing!We walked around at the top for awhile, where we had great views of Athens below. It is HUGE. Of course, it was extremely hot outside, so we stopped on the way back down for some frozen lemonades. After getting back on the tour bus, we saw the original Olympic stadium, and went to the archaeological museum. We saw some really cool stuff in  the museum, but then we went back to the ship because we were all so tired. Emily, Amanda, Mackenzie, Angela, and Halle were taking a ferry to Mykonos that night so they packed their stuff and headed to the ferry. My ferry ride wasn’t until the morning so I went to bed and prepared to wake up at like 4 in the morning. We took the 3-hour ferry to Mykonos the next day. Mykonos is one of the many Greek islands.  Apparently it is the gay capital of Europe too. I checked in to the hotel I was staying at, and attempted to find Emily and the girls. Miraculously, I found them having lunch at a café right on the water in the main town. I had a delicious greek salad, and we were given free Limón cello shots from our waiter.  We spent the afternoon walking around the main town and shopping. I went back to the apartment the girls had rented on the beach and rested for a while before we went down to the beach. We walked around the beach while the sun was setting, and then had dinner. That night we decided to go the paradise club. BUT, before we went out that night, we went to the supermarket to buy some champagne. We thought we were getting a great deal on a bottle of champagne, but when we got back to the apartment to pop it…there was no pop. Apparently we bought sparkling water. We are RIDICULOUS. But we ended up having a GREAT time that night. We got some great stories out of that one night in Mykonos.  The following day we spent at the beach…. the whole day. It was so relaxing, and the water was so amazing. I had to catch a ferry that night back to Athens, but didn’t realize that there are only like 30 cabs on the entire island. I almost didn’t make it to my ferry, I was definitely stressing out. But I made it back to Athens, completely exhausted. The following day, I went to a Greek cooking class. It was sooo much fun and I learned how to make some delicious Greek food.  The last day in Greece, Emily and I had to have one last gyro (euro). We found a little place, with the nicest people. We had lamb euros, and we were satisfied. Back to the ship, and we were on to ISTANBUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment